Are you recycling all your paper and card?
Now it’s easier than ever!
Every Council in Northern Ireland provides a kerbside paper and card recycling collection.
Not sure what to recycle? Check our handy list below to make sure you’re recycling all the right things, all of the time!
To find out more about your local paper and card collection enter your postcode into our Recycling Locator tool.
Ever wondered what happens to your paper and card when you recycle it?
Ten top tips
- Don’t forget about toilet roll tubes and empty toothpaste boxes!
- Put a bag or a bin in your bathroom to recycle your card.
- Remember to recycle your tissue and toiletries boxes.
- Recycle cardboard packaging from online orders.
- Don’t forget to flatten boxes to save space in your recycling container.
- Paper is a valuable recyclable material but only when it is clean.
- Remove any plastic wrapping from newspapers and magazines before you recycle them!
- If you scrunch paper and it doesn't spring back, then it can be recycled.
- If paper is crumpled, torn in half, or folded it is still recyclable!
- Small amounts of shredded paper may be accepted in your garden waste collection. Please check with your council.
Five commonly asked questions about recycling paper and card
Can I recycle paper coffee cups?
Coffee cups are not accepted in household recycling collection schemes. Better still, take advantage of the discounts offered by many coffee shops by taking along your own reusable cup.
Can I recycle flushable wipes?
Baby wipes, cosmetic wipes, bathroom cleaning wipes and moist toilet tissues are NOT recyclable and are NOT flushable either even though some labels say they are! They should always be placed in your rubbish bin.
Can I recycle pizza boxes?
Pizza boxes can only be recycled if the cardboard is clean. Soiled and greasy card isn’t accepted. If it has grease on it, simple tear it off and recycle the top half!
Can I recycle wrapping paper?
Wrapping paper can only be recycled if it passes the scrunch test - simple paper wrap can be recycled but foil or glitter-decorated paper cannot and needs to go in the general waste. Before recycling, remove any sticky tape and decorations such as ribbons and bows as these cannot be recycled.
Can I recycle nappies?
Disposable nappies should be placed in your rubbish bin.
Did you know?
- It only takes seven days for a recycled newspaper to come back as a new one!
- Every tonne of paper recycled saves 17 trees.
- One tonne of recycled paper saves 7000 gallons of water, and enough energy to heat the average home for six months.