What to do with
Ash (coal & wood)
Want to recycle wood/coal ash but don't know if you can?
Wood ash is recyclable with garden waste; coal ash isn't and should be put in the rubbish bin. To check if you can recycle garden waste at home or to find out where your nearest recycling facilities are, use our handy Recycling Locator tool.
How can I dispose of it?
Wood ash can be:
- Put it in your household garden waste collections (if this service is offered in your area)
- Taken to the recycling centre and recycled with garden waste
- Added to your home composting bin
- Used as a soil fertiliser
Ash from coal or anthracite:
- Put in your general waste bin since it has little or no nutritional benefit and is potentially harmful to soil, plants and consumers of edible produce
Note: Always let the ash cool down before placing in any bin.
You can find more information on using wood ash in your garden from The Royal Horticultural Society.