What to do with
Some councils collect as part of your household collection service but in most areas you will need to take them to a recycling centre or a collection point in a supermarket, a DIY centre or even your local shop.
What types of batteries can I recycle?
- All household batteries including 'button' batteries from watches
- Battery packs from laptops, mobile phones, power tools and remote control units (put electrical tape over the terminals)
- Car batteries should be recycled at designated collection points.
What else can I do?
- Use rechargeable batteries wherever possible or plug electrical equipment into the mains electricity
- Try to buy appliances that use renewable energy - a wind-up radio or torch, dynamo bicycle lights or a solar powered calculator.
Our Recycling Locator tool can tell you which items you can put into your recycling bins.