What to do with
How should I recycle computers?
- Make sure that you permanently delete all files and programs on your computer’s hard-drive
- Remove your personal data to reduce the risk of it being used by someone else.
Can laptop batteries be recycled?
Yes, they can be recycled with normal household batteries at battery collection points. However we have been advised that you should put a piece of electrical tape over the terminals.
Pass them on
Community and re-use organisations
Donating your unwanted computer equipment to a charity is a great way to help others. For some charities it is important that the equipment is in good working order; however other groups, such as WEEECharity, have technicians who can repair them.
- Check for any instruction manuals, cables or accessories that you could donate with it.
- If you are also providing software with your computer, make sure you include the software licence and any installation CDs.
- Please ensure that your personal data is removed from your computer before you pass it on or recycle it.
- Pass on items for free at places such as Freecycle and Freegle
- Or sell them on websites like eBay and Gumtree
Friends, family and local events
- Ask family and friends - often they can use the things we don’t want anymore
- Sell items locally at car boots, nearly new and bring and buy sales
- Advertise online, in a local paper or on local notice boards