What to do with
Gift & toy packaging
Some gift and toy packaging is recyclable but it will need to be separated and sorted.
Toy and gift packaging often consists of different materials - such as cardboard, paper and plastic. Some of these are recyclable, while others are not. These will need to be separated before recycling.
- Remove plastic windows from cardboard boxes before recycling - the plastic window should be put in the rubbish bin.
- Flatten cardboard for ease of transport to recycling facilities or to fit more into your household recycling bin.
- Plastic blisters marked PET or PETE can be recycled by most local authorities but please check with your council in the first instance.
- Wire ties are not generally recyclable but could be re-used around the home, for example for tying up plants in the garden or resealing half-used packets of frozen vegetables.
- Remove the rope or ribbon handles from gift bags - these can be re-used or should be placed in the rubbish bin.
Find out what you can put in your home recycling