What to do with
Plastic milk bottles are widely recycled - check the recycling locator below to see if you can recycle them at home or ask your council. If your milk is delivered in glass bottles though, you should always return them to your milkman.
What should I do with them?
Glass milk bottles
- Don't put milk bottles into a bottle bank or in with your other glass recycling
- Rinse and return them to your milkman
Plastic milk containers
- These are generally made from a type of plastic called high-density polyethene (HDPE) and are widely recycled
- Most councils will accept these (and other plastic bottles) as part of your household recycling collection
- If your council does not collect plastic bottles as part of your household recycling service, you should still be able to recycle them at your local household waste and recycling centre. The recycling locator will show you where your nearest recycling centre is.
- Please leave the tops on all your plastic bottles when you recycle them.
You can find out how plastic bottles are recycled in this short animation.