What to do with
Handy tips for parents
For items ‘badged’ with the school name:
- Ask if the school offers a take-back scheme. These schemes are very popular and enable parents to purchase pre-worn blazers or sweatshirts at reduced prices.
- If a take-back scheme is not available, consider getting together with other parents and set one up. It could save you a small fortune!
- If the above are not possible, ask the school for advice – they may be happy for these items to be donated to charity. If not, encourage them to set up a collection point and let them know they can contact their uniform supplier or LEA for advice.
For generic items of uniform in usable condition:
- Pass on to friends or family
- Sell or giveaway on local social media sites
- Donate to charity
For unusable items of uniform:
- Is it repairable? Visit Love Your Clothes for lots of handy ‘how to’ videos and learn a new skill!
- If it isn’t repairable, recycle it! All items of clothing can be recycled and made into new items, such as padding for chairs and car seats, cleaning cloths and industrial blankets.
Advice for schools
If you have large amounts of uniforms that have your logo on and require secure, safe disposal or if you wish to donate your uniforms to a charitable cause, contact your uniform supplier or LEA for advice. They can characterise and measure your uniform waste to evaluate the most appropriate steps to take.