Five top tips to reduce contamination
Putting the right stuff in the right bin is important. The wrong stuff is called contamination and when contaminated loads of recycling are found, it can potentially result in the whole lorry full being sent to landfill.
Top tips to help reduce contamination in your bin:
- Look out for recycling labels on packaging to help identify whether it is recyclable or not
- Leave metal caps and lids on glass jars and bottles
- Empty and rinse all containers
- Don't forget to recycle items from all rooms in the house such as shampoo bottles from the bathroom
- If in doubt, check before you chuck using the Recycling Locator.
Common myths - unfortunately you cannot recycle these items:
- Cutlery, crockery, pots and pans cannot be recycled at home but can be taken to your local recycling facility.